Gillian McKeith quotes
Here are a few of my favourite quotes by "Dr" Gillian McKeith. They illustrate just how bizarre some of McKeith's ideas are, and how unconnected they are with mainstream, evidence-based science and medicine.
- "Ditch fizzy drinks, caffeine and sugar - they are all stored as fat in the thighs and tummy", Gillian McKeith article from British Airways "High Life" magazine, August 2005.
- "If you eat fruit after a meal, it will ferment in the gut", from this website.
- (on diagnosing problems by looking at people's tongues) "What I see here are these little cuts. The little cuts mean that your spleen is not working properly", McKeith, Gillian; "You Are What You Eat", Channel 4, 2005.
- "The spleen is like your body's battery", McKeith, Gillian; "You Are What You Eat", Channel 4, 2005.
- Dark leaves are good for you because they contain "chlorophyll - the 'blood' of the plant - which will really oxygenate your blood", quoted in one of Ben Goldacre's bad science columns
- You shouldn't eat late at night because that's when "your digestive system... is actually detoxifying the body", McKeith, Gillian; "You are what you eat", Channel 4, Wed 9th Feb 2005 (full McKeith quote: "What you're doing to yourself is you're stressing your heart at night by doing that, because you're asking your digestive system to digest food at a time when it's actually detoxifying the body").
- "Broccoli and cabbage are known as cruciferous vegetables which means they're good for the liver. They raise the liver's energy", McKeith, Gillian; "You are what you eat", Channel 4, Wed 23rd Feb 2005.
- "Floating stools that will not flush show a liver imbalance", McKeith, Gillian; "You are what you eat" book, p44.
- "The problem is that when you're eating so much sugar combined with extra yeast through those white processed breads, you cause that yeast inside to grow more. And when it bursts out of the gut and goes into the bloodstream, you can feel just dreadful.", "You are what you eat", see Ray Girvan's page
- "Meringues are pure sugar", McKeith, Gillian; "You are what you eat", Channel 4, Wed 12th Jan 2005
(full quote: "Have you any idea what this sugar is doing to your body? Meringues are pure sugar, that's why I use them to illustrate my point").
- (On the effect on the body of a relationship break-up) "When you're dumped and you're emotionally upset you can't digest your food properly, you start to create toxic particles in the body because you're so upset", Jo Whiley interview with Gillian McKeith, Radio 1, March 2005, listen to the Gillian McKeith interview.
- "Sugar and chemicals disturb the body's biochemical balance and dislocate brain function.", Dr Gillian Mckeith Newsletter, 17 October 2005. Presumably, that makes an apple, containing that brain-function-dislocating sugar, a bad thing to eat?
- "Research shows that these wild blue green algae from Klamath Lake contains virtually every nutrient known to man in a form that we can so easily digest and utilise, since it is the most original and purest food on Earth.", "Dr" Gillian McKeith newsletter, January 2005 (Originally published at, though no longer available from: http://www.clfshop.com/shops/mckeith/site/membersarea/Newsletters%5CNewsletter12-1-05.htm).
Quotes from "Dr" Gillian McKeith's "PhD"
The following quotes are taken from Gillian McKeith's book "Miracle Superfood: Wild Blue-Green Algae". Her company (McKeith Research) have confirmed that this book is closely connected with her "PhD" thesis ("Part of her thesis has been published by Keats publishing and is called Wild Blue Green Algae – the miracle super food").
- Some algae enthusiasts believe that if you eat blue-green algae on a regular basis, you will connect with something essential and ancient. Richard France, a macrobiotic counselor, states, "It is not inconceivable that on subtle vibrational levels, unique genetic memories and messages of harmony and peace are stored in algae, which have grown undisturbed for aeons in a pristine environment. This information may be passed on to us at a cellular level, encouraging harmony among our own cellular family", McKeith, Gillian; "Wild Blue-Green Algae"
- It is Kollman's opinion that the biological information learned routinely by the blue-green algae is information that the human race needs in order to survive. For instance, it might take us a million years to develop genetic information that would allow us to adapt to excess radiation; blue-green algae would adapt to it in a few months. When we eat the algae we then have access to that information and knowledge of adaptation to our surrounding environment", McKeith, Gillian; "Wild Blue-Green Algae"
- "Plant energy can be transferred from the chlorophyll directly to hemoglobin in the red blood cells of human blood plasma. The red blood cells and the plasma transfer the plant energy directly to the cells and to the bond structure, which then transmit it to the overall human body.", McKeith, Gillian; "Wild Blue-Green Algae"
Last updated May 2011
All information in these pages copyright © 2000-2011 Howard Wright unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.